Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Fractal PrinceThe Fractal Prince by Hannu Rajaniemi

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


What an exceptional book! I have to agree with others that this (and the 'Quantum Thief' before it) require you to hold on tight and trust the author. But that trust is handsomely rewarded. We are led through some truly dazzling technological marvels, dealt with genuine panache.

For me, what sets this book apart is the feeling that the author really loves his characters. Despite the relentless oddity of their circumstances, I found myself empathizing with each one. This is such a rarity in real, proper, hard SF as to be almost unique.

Finally - where next? If you love this book, you might also like Charles Stross's Accelerando, or John Clute's Appleseed which, of all the SF I have read, is the only book that comes close to it for sheer bonkers technology.




View all my reviews

No comments: